Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Have you ever seen a mantis?

Well, I haven't...that is until today. Gabby, my mom and I discovered this unwelcome guest hanging out by my entry window trying to find a way inside. I got news for you sucka: that window doesn't open! Sorry about the picture quality, I don't like bugs particularly. But for the kids sake, we kept him in a jar so we can study him all afternoon. Then we'll let him go "home to his family" tonight. And for all of you wondering, yes, it is that big!


7 comments:

Douglas said...

I wish I could have been home to hear all of the screams!

Tiffany said...

Praying mantis's give me the creeps! They were all over our yard growing up. But, what a good mom you are for still being willing to put it in a jar and let the kids observe...ick!

Steph said...

Praying matis's are every where in Virginia! I think they are kinda cool looking for a bug. But, they give me the creeps because they are so BIG!

BTW- they bite, hard! Just ask my brother!

Heidi said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Those freak me out. I remember seeing one 5 inches tall. Ryan thinks I'm lying but I'm not. I remember it being 5 inches tall and there were three of them.

Dave & Chels said...

I took for granted the lack of bugs we had in the NW until we moved to Houston. Imagine a bug that size in the form of a cockroach. I'm pretty sure I cried a few times. That thing is huge, though.
And no, we won't be up there for the holidays. (Thanksgiving or x-mas.) I wish. I might be making a trip up there before thanksgiving sometime - I will have to let you know. It would just be me & B, though. My husband has way too much school work to go anywhere. That, and he signed up for a class over christmas break. Nice, huh?

Travis and Heather said...

Hey Rebecca, good to catch up and see your family. Good bug story, most of our bug stories end with tragic endings, my boy doesn't have the 'soft' touch. Where are you guys living at? Talk to you later.

-Travis Taylor
http://taylorgirlandboyz.blogspot.com/

Becky said...

Oooo, McKinley hates bugs, but praying mantis's in particular. We seem to have a ton of them around here, and she starts to scream and shake and can't seem to keep her feet on the ground. They are strange looking creatures, aren't they?