Tuesday, September 14, 2010

canning

So I have been obsessed with canning this summer and trying new recipes.  I used some of my grandmother's old canning jars and it was so fun to remove the old lid and see "peaches 1976" or "applesauce" in her handwriting.  I made a peach preserve that was my great grandmother's recipe.  Both loved making jams and canning and I have loved following in their footsteps. 




So I made this delicious apple pear freezer butter that I thought I would share.  I love that it just tastes like fall and the sugar content is minimal compared to other jams.  I've been eating it on everything, but I think my favorite is on a bagel with cream cheese and apple butter on the top. YUM!

4 cups peeled diced apples
4 cups peeled diced pears
¼ cup water
1 cup sugar
1 pkg pectin
¾ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp ground allspice
½ cup brown sugar

In a medium saucepan, bring fruit and water to boil. Turn heat down and simmer until apples are soft (about 20 minutes). Meanwhile, mix sugar, pectin and spices into a bowl. Add hot fruit and brown sugar. Mix for three minutes and pour into freezer safe jars or tubs. Stores up to a year in the freezer or 1 month in the fridge.

3 comments:

jrushing said...

You have been busy this summer! It is fun to see what you all have been up to! The kids look so big and it has only been a few months since we have see you all!

Ashley May said...

I'm going to have to make some of that sometime... it was SO GOOD! Thanks for sharing!!

By the way, I need the recipe of the hawaiian meatballs you made me. Those were so good too..... I'm realizing that everything you make is delicious!!

Steph said...

You have been busy blogging! I didn't even realize you had updated your blog. What a fun fireman party and I think you are amazing with how much you can. I wish I was better at it. (sigh)