Monday, August 18, 2008

First time Fishing


We wanted to do something memorable with the kids while Doug's parents were visiting this weekend. It was 100 degrees outside, so we headed up the mountain to a family owned trout farm for some good old fishing. Well, I guess it isn't the first time fishing because we did some of that while camping up at Beaver this year, but never caught anything. There are several ponds to fish and a large picnic area for playing-which we didn't use because it was still too hot for the littles to sit in the sun long. We walked all around the ponds through the forested paths and watched the fish swimming throughout. It was exciting for the kids until we got out the worms. Both refused to touch them, even though they LOVE worms while we garden and weed the yard.
Patience is not something a four and two year old have much of, so catching a fish on the first cast was PERFECT. Reeling in the fish was so magical. Until it started thrashing and splashing out of the water. Gabby and Hyrum seriously screamed and ran in the complete opposite direction. Gabriella finally got up the courage to hold the line for a photo and rub the scales. That is until she saw "BLOOD IN THE FISH BUCKET!" I guess we didn't fully explain what we do with the fish. Hmmm....well, she knows now that their heads are gone! Hyrum had his turn catching one too, but was too scared to do anything once the fish was on the line. Maybe in a few years they won't be so chicken!







Some other fun things we've been doing the last few weeks:
Lewisville Park






Clark County Fair




14 comments:

Dave & Chels said...

Oh, I miss the clark county fair. You should see the fairs here...so Texan. :) And that story of Gabby & Hyrum was classic. Way to traumatize your kids. :)

Rachel said...

I love the girls pointing at the funny looking chickens-so cute! I have a great picture of when my kids found out that cleaning fish didn't mean we washed them-Savannah's look of horror tells all.

The Hammond Holler! said...

Hey Rebecca. Not sure if you remember me but we worked together in Rexburg @ Frontier Pies. Im Tyler Clark's little sister. I came across your blog in a weird sorta way hope you don't mind. Your family is so darn cute!! You can check my blog out if you'd like and see our new addition to our family! Hope all is well.....

Traci

Steph said...

So funny! My kids have never fished and I think they would truly freak out! We have gone to the fair every year for the last four years until this summer. We were gone and I really missed it.

Tiffany said...

I loved hearing about your family's fishing expedition. How fun for the kids to catch fish! My boys love it when their dad takes them fishing...it's a great bonding time.

Ben & Jen said...

I would LOVE to see C's reaction to fishing and cleaning the fish. I think she would probably be right along the same lines as your kids. Can't wait to see you again!

Stephanie said...

How fun! I love fishing, but I am with your kids, hate to see them cleaned. Eww. I love all the pics of your many adventures. As always, your family is oh so adorable!!!

Ashley May said...

I love Lewisville park! There is a really awesome trail that is great to run on. Tons of hills up and down. You should try it!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog, all the pixs and the cutest kids ever.

Cristi said...

Looks like you guys are having a fun summer! I love it! You're so cute, by the way! What a fun mommy! And I love that you went fishing. I spent my whole childhood going fishing with my dad! Great memories!

Allison said...

That is so funny about fishing. We've gone fishing but they've never caught anything...maybe that's a good thing. I think they would all freak out!

Heidi said...

looks like a ton of fun! I hope she isn't totally traumatized. I know I was when I saw them kill the pigs. haha jk well kinda. I love the picture of loriann in the stroller sleeping that is so cute.

Anonymous said...

You guys are so good at taking pictures. I want a new camera for Christmas!!! Love the photo with Loo - sleeping spread legged - so funny! Love you all!

Jenny Rossi said...

Look at you two with all your kids! SOOO Cute B! Tell Douglas he's a nerd still, but ya'll really do look awesome! Thanks for taking a look at my blog :). Good hearing from you! Love ya girl